Main image

Monday, February 10, 2014

I want to be a buttonup

At one point I was extremely disappointed at the way women of color were expressing themselves on national television. Basketball Wives, Love and Hip Hop, RHOA, were a big let down. These shows allowed us to have a platform to brand ourselves in a positive light but instead they are tearing each other down, acting like complete slores, and making it seem as though their mothers never gave them the course hometraining 101. I have mixed feelings about Bravo's Blood Sweat and Heels. Demetria Lucas, Geneva Thomas, and Brie Blythewood are my sister friends in my head. I'm glad that the line has been drawn in the sand between them and Melyssa Ford, Daisy Lewellyn, and Mica Hughes. I have the breakdown.
Demetria reminds me of my mother. She doesn't play games with how she is represented in public. She knows when it is time to go. People often misinterpret her for being uncompassionate but that's not the case. It's clear that she has such a high level of respect for others that she becomes disappointed in their behavior. Geneva is like my twin. We're young, still growing in our industries, and focused on becoming very successful. I'm glad that she has a "mentor" like Demetria who is clearly a positive influence on her. Brie is a woman of rules and it is clear how she wants to be viewed by others. I love how she not only thinks about herself but she also is aware and concerned about her family's brand.
Melyssa Ford the "Real Estate Agent"
Mica Hughes: The AA meeting escapee
Daisy Lewellyn: The fashion stylist whose wigs are just as ugly as her personality
In regards to the others I'm not going to waste my energy because I start to develop forehead wrinkles and the rest of my face morphs into a serious bitch please look. Then I proceed to hide under my covers and hope that their piss poor display of womanhood was all a bad dream. I'm not saying that they are a lost cause. I would like them take a moment to reflect on their behavior. As women of color on television they should take this as a position to empower, inspire, and be productive.

0 comments:

Post a Comment